Poland Warns Russian Provocation Could Come Within Months

Polish Deputy Defense Minister Cezary Tomczyk says Warsaw is preparing for possible conflict as it assesses the risk of a Russian provocation within months.

Poland Warns Russian Provocation Could Come Within Months
Photo: Polish Deputy Defense Minister Cezary Tomczyk (Gov.pl)

Poland is preparing its armed forces for the possibility of a future conflict with Russia while assessing that a major Kremlin provocation could occur within months, according to Deputy Minister of National Defense Cezary Tomczyk. His August 17 comments do not amount to a Polish government forecast that war will begin within months, but instead distinguish between a possible Russian provocation in the near term and the longer-term risk of direct conflict. 

Tomczyk told Polish media that Warsaw is preparing for war while seeking to ensure that such a conflict never occurs. He argued that Poland can no longer dismiss scenarios simply because they previously appeared unrealistic and said the course of Russia's war against Ukraine will remain a major factor in Moscow's future military options. 

Poland separates near-term provocation from direct NATO war

The distinction is important. Tomczyk did not say Russia will attack Poland within several months, as more alarmist interpretations of the comments could suggest.

Instead, he said a large-scale Kremlin provocation could plausibly occur within that timeframe. He separately assessed that Russia is not currently prepared for a military confrontation with NATO and would lose such a conflict given the alliance's combined capabilities. 

The comments follow a broader debate in Poland and across NATO over how quickly Russia could regenerate military capabilities after the war in Ukraine and whether Moscow could eventually test the alliance militarily.

Tomczyk linked the discussion to assessments associated with General Alexus G. Grynkewich, Supreme Allied Commander Europe and commander of United States European Command. Grynkewich warned in July 2025 that NATO should prepare for the possibility of simultaneous conflicts involving Russia in Europe and China in the Indo-Pacific, identifying 2027 as a potential crisis point. 

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk subsequently said Grynkewich had confirmed U.S. assessments indicating Russia could become capable of conventional confrontation with Europe by 2027. The 2027 timeline, however, should be treated as a planning scenario rather than a prediction that Russia will attack NATO in that year. 

Warsaw is backing its threat assessment with record spending

Poland's response is already visible in its defense budget and force modernization programs. The 2026 budget provides PLN 200.1 billion for national defense when state budget expenditure and the Armed Forces Support Fund are combined, equivalent to 4.81% of projected gross domestic product. 

That represents an increase of PLN 13.5 billion from the planned 2025 level. Warsaw is using the funding to expand the Polish Armed Forces and finance major procurement programs covering air defense, armor, artillery, aviation and long-range fires. 

Poland has also become the largest prospective beneficiary of the European Union's Security Action for Europe, or SAFE, financing mechanism. The Polish Ministry of Foreign Affairs said in May that Warsaw was set to receive up to €43.7 billion in low-interest loans under the program. 

These investments reflect Poland's position on NATO's eastern flank, where the country borders Belarus and Russia's Kaliningrad region and serves as a principal logistics corridor supporting Ukraine.

The 2027 warning remains a scenario, not an agreed deadline

The broader NATO debate contains substantial uncertainty over Russia's regeneration timeline.

Grynkewich's warning centered on the need for NATO to prepare for a possible two-theater crisis involving Russia and China, rather than asserting that intelligence had established a Russian attack date. His July 2025 remarks described 2027 as a potential flashpoint and stressed the need for sufficient equipment and munitions. 

The timeline has also faced public skepticism inside Poland. Retired Polish General Jarosław Gromadziński argued in July 2025 that the 2027 scenario should be understood as a worst-case planning framework rather than evidence that Russia had selected that year for a confrontation. 

That distinction also applies to Tomczyk's August 17 remarks. His warning points to a potentially much shorter timeline for Russian provocations, but he simultaneously assessed that Moscow currently lacks the capacity to prevail in a direct confrontation with NATO. 


Questions about Poland's warning on Russia

Did Poland say Russia will attack within months?

No. Deputy Defense Minister Cezary Tomczyk said a significant Kremlin provocation could plausibly occur within months. He did not predict that Russia would launch a conventional attack on Poland within that period. 

Is Poland preparing for war with Russia?

Polish defense officials are preparing the country's armed forces and national defense system for the possibility of a future conflict. Tomczyk said the objective of those preparations remains deterrence and avoiding such a war. 

Does NATO expect Russia to attack in 2027?

There is no verified NATO prediction establishing 2027 as the date of a Russian attack. Grynkewich identified 2027 as a potential crisis or flashpoint in discussing a scenario involving simultaneous security challenges from Russia and China. 

How much is Poland spending on defense in 2026?

Poland has allocated PLN 200.1 billion to defense through the state budget and Armed Forces Support Fund in 2026, equivalent to 4.81% of projected GDP. 

Tomczyk's comments therefore add urgency to Poland's existing defense buildup without establishing a new timetable for war. The more immediate warning concerns the possibility of Russian provocations, while Warsaw continues preparing for the longer-term risk that Russia could regenerate enough military power to challenge NATO.